Happy Holy Days! (Getting ready to celebrate St. Nicholas!)

Just another fun tradition for our family is sending out shoes the night before Saint Nicholas' feast day. I usually find these chocolate coins somewhere, and then something simple and useful like a new pair of mittens. A friend reminded me that oranges are usually part of this tradition, so I grabbed some of those (and a Reese's Pieces-filled candy cane) for this year. Sometimes I add in a real gold or silver coin if I'm prepared. 

December truly is FULL of Holy Days. It's the reason I don't get hung up on "Happy Holidays" vs. Merry Christmas. Between St. Nicholas tomorrow, the Immaculate Conception 12/8, Our Lady of Guadalupe on the 12th and others, the preparation-purple Advent season is literally and liberally sprinkled with joy and celebration-white! All of these Holy Days are celebrating what Christmas brings: HOPE and JOY! I hope you are all enjoying this beautiful time of hopeful and joyful waiting!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Kingdom's Story

I. Don't. Want. You. (A reflection on the Greek word "ousia")

The Stairs to Heaven: The Three-Year-Old Climb to Jesus